The Defence Headquaters, Abuja, on Tuesday said a committee
had been set up to investigate the clash between naval and police operatives in
Calabar, Cross River State, with the aim of sanctioning the culprits.
The DHQ Director of Information, Maj. Gen. John Enenche,
said the mandate of the committee included recommending the sanctions to be
meted out to erring navy ratings and civilians behind the incident.
Some naval ratings and policemen had on Tuesday, May 30,
clashed at the Akim Police Station along the IBB Way, Calabar, during which at
least two persons were shot dead.
Enenche said on Tuesday that the panel comprised senior
officers from the Nigerian Army, the Nigerian Air Force and the Nigerian Navy.
He said, “The Defence Headquarters has set up a high-profile
committee to investigate the causes of the clash between personnel of the
Nigerian Navy and the police, which led to the destruction of lives and
property. The committee comprises senior officers from the three services.”
By Olaleye Aluko, Abuja
