World News

Monday, July 17, 2017

More NHIS Officials Suspended As Investigations Deepens


The Minister of Health, Prof. Isaac Adewole, has suspended more top officials of the National Health Insurance Scheme.


The Minister had earlier suspended the Executive Secretary of the agency, Prof. Usman Yusuf.
Those affected include; Olufemi Akingbade, the General Manger, Zonal Coordinator South South Zone; John Okon, General Manager, Finance Account; Yusuf Fatika, the General Manager, Human Resources and Administration; and Shehu Adamu, the Assistant General Manager, Audit.

Also suspended are Vincent Mamdam, the Assistant General Manager, Head Insurance; Safiyanu Attah – Senior Assistant Officer, Marketing; Owen Udo Udoma, Senior Manager, Contribution Management; and Innocent Abbah, Senior Assistant Officer, Planning Research and Monitoring.

According to a statement from the Ministry of Health, the suspension of the officers was based on the “activities of the investigative panel of inquiry and the desire to have an uninterrupted and robust investigation of all petitions at the National Health Insurance Scheme, including security reports on maladministration and mismanagement by officials of the Agency.”

The statement said the suspension was to “pave way for thorough investigation.”
Adewole urged the investigative committee, “to remain focused, fair and transparent in the discharge of this national task despite the sensation this development has generated.”

The Acting Executive Secretary of the scheme, Attahiru Ibrahim, was directed to ensure the immediate implementation of the suspension order.

By Wale Odunsi

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Nigeria Needs Family Planning To Avert Demographic Disaster – Health Minister

Nigeria’s Minister of Health, Prof. Isaac Adewole has said that the country is headed for a ‘demographic disaster’ if it doesn’t adopt a more aggressive policy to contraceptive usage. 

Adewole spoke as a panelist at the 2017 Family Planning summit, London which was live streamed across several platforms.

Data from UN population Division, predicts that by the year 2050 Nigeria will have over 400 million population making it the third with largest growth after India and China.

The Minister said this this “will be a demographic disasters for us as a country. We therefore need to do things in a different way and make sure we adopt a more aggressive policy to contraceptive usage and invest in girl child education.”

He added that Nigeria has have approved the road map for the realization of the demographic dividends.

Adewole said that Nigeria is committed to supply chain system as such in the next couple of weeks 
“We will open two new ware houses; Abuja and Lagos,” These new warehouse will link up to 7 additional ware houses across which will be  networked to ensure transparency.

The Government of Nigeria in collaboration with its partners and private sector pledges to achieve a modern contraceptive rate of 27% among all women by 2020.

This he said is significant because there is a wide disparity across the country with the northeast recoding a 3% usage compared to the 25% in the south west.

He added that Nigeria commits to increasing its annual allocation for contraceptives to $4M; and also ensures a total disbursement of $56M to the states through its Global Financing Facility (GFF) and IDA loans;

“One of the thing we have done as part of the discussion with GFF is to include family planning as part of basic health care services so that it can become a routine in addition to malaria, antenatal services and immunization” explained Adewole.

The Deputy Secretary-General of the United Nations, Amina Mohammed called on men and boys to pledge to “do no harm” to their sisters, mothers, daughters and wives this she said help to achieve women rights and empowerment.


By Bamas Victoria

Monday, June 05, 2017