World News

Monday, May 08, 2017

Appeal Court Dismisses Amechi's Appeal Against Wike's Panel of Inquiry

The Appeal Court in Port Harcourt has dismissed the Appeal filed by former Governor Rotimi Amaechi against the Justice George Omereji-led Judicial Panel of Inquiry constituted by Rivers State Governor Nyesom Wike in 2015.


Lead Judge, Justice O.F Moleye said the refusal of Amaechi to appear before the panel amounted to self denial.

Justice Moleye said Governor Wike was empowered by law to constitute the panel of Inquiry.

The appeal court, however, said Amaechi had the right to have gone to court to challenge the constitution of the panel.

Speaking with DAILYPOST Counsel to Governor Wike, Dejo Lamikanra, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria said the court only affirmed the power of Governor Wike.

On his part, Attorney General of Rivers State, Emmanuel Aguma, SAN, said the implication of the Judgement was that the findings of the panel were valid, adding that the findings would be implemented soon.

“The coronary of the Judgement is that Amaechi has to account for the sale of valued assets belonging to Rivers state and also explain the withdrawal of huge sums of money from the states coffers writhin 14 months.

“It means that the findings of the Justice Omereji panel are valid,” he said.

Counsel to Former Governor Rotimi Amaechi, Lawson Oghare declined comment on the outcome of the court decision.

Recall that Justice Simeon Amadi of the High Court in Port Harcourt had at an earlier judgment dismissed the suit filed by Former Governor Amaechi asking the court to stop the Commission of Inquiry headed by Justice George Omereji from probing him.

Amaechi in the suit said the Justice Omereji panel was biased, adding that the outcome of the panel had been predestined by his successor, Governor Nyesom Wike.

Other respondents in the matter are Justice George Omereji and members of his panel, as well as the Attorney General of Rivers State, Emma Aguma, SAN.

The Justice George Omereji panel was set up by Wike to investigate the Sale of Omoku and Afam Gas plants, the failed contract of the construction of Justice Adolphus Karibi Whyte Specialist Hospital and monies amounting to billions of naira for agricultural loan for the Rivers state Ministry of Agriculture, among others.


By Victor Azubuike

Friday, May 05, 2017

R. Niger Dredging: Jonathan Spent N34b and Did Nothing, Buhari Is Spending N100m – Amechi


Transportation Minister Rotimi Amaechi yesterday alleged that former President Goodluck Jonathan administration allegedly paid a contractor N34 billion for the dredging of the River Niger, but did not get it done.

He sajd the Muhammadu Buhari administration is spending N100m on the same project.
Ameachi spoke said in Lagos at the opening of a conference on Fast-tracking Port Reforms hosted by The Nation in conjunction with the Federal Ministry of Transportation and Epsilon Limited.

The minister said: ”When the River Niger was first approved for dredging by the previous administration, it was approved for N47billion and N34billion was paid to the contractor. Dancers were called in and there was a party.

“We are not dredging the River Niger with billions of naira; we are dredging the River Niger with just N100m. When we flagged it off recently, did you see us dancing? Was there a party? I just went to see the governor and told him that the project will start today and will be finished in one month.

“The governor said he will accompany me, and I said ‘ok’. So, I asked the governor to flag it off since it’s located in his state.”“People are wondering how on earth we are going to dredge the River Niger for N100m when the previous government awarded same contract for N47billion? But we are going to dredge the River Niger, using dredgers owned by the National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA).

“NIWA has dredgers, but the previous government preferred to give contractors money to dredge the river with private dredgers while NIWA’s dredgers were lying idle somewhere in Port Harcourt.

“The NIWA MD told me the agency has dredgers, but it’s been hired out to somebody in Port Harcourt. So, we had dredgers, but the previous administration hired them out to some persons in Port Harcourt while paying a contractor billions of naira to use privately owned dredgers at a very high cost.

“I told the NIWA MD that I will look for money to fuel their dredgers, and work has started. That is why we are dredging the River Niger with just N100m,” Amaechi said.

In 2011, the Jonathan administration approved the Lower River Niger Dredging Project from Warri, in Delta State, to Baro, in Niger State, to four contractors — Fung Tai Eng Company Nigeria Limited, Dredging International Service Nigeria Limited, Van Oord Nigeria Limited and Williams Lloyds Technology Company Limited.

Last year, the Nigerian Indigenous Ship-Owners Association (NISA) accused NIWA of bungling the dredging contract of the Lower River Niger


By Wale Odunsi

Sunday, April 30, 2017

I Am Not Corrupt, Nobody Should Doubt My Honesty - Amechi



The Minister of Aviation, Rotimi Amaechi, has declared he is not corrupt and does not like money.

Featuring on Channels Television, the former Governor of Rivers State disclosed why Nigerians are of the impression that he is a corrupt individual.

According to Amaechi, “Is my honesty in doubt? I have told Nigerians and I repeat to Nigerians today I am not corrupt and I don’t like money. I am not one swayed by money. I have lived a character that most Nigerians can tell you.

“I try as much as possible not to annoy God by saying I am honest. But with all modesty, I am a honest Nigerian and there are very few honest Nigerians.”

Reacting to claims by Nigerian that he is corrupt, the Minister said, “When did that impression start? Nyesom Wike becomes the governor. He takes documents from Government house that people can’t read, and says oh, we sold Gas turbines and disappeared with the money. He set up a panel of inquiry? Publish the report.”

On whether the corruption angle came up because he led the campaign organization of President Buhari, Amaechi said, “When you talk about the PDP angle, they are bitter that we fought and led the movement against the former government and PDP, and we were successful to have removed them from power.

“If I was corrupt, why didn’t President Goodluck prosecute me? The fight between Goodluck and Rivers state government or myself lasted for two years.”


By Seun Opejobi

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Dredging of Ajaokuta-Onitsha waterways to Begin Tomorrow — Amaechi

The Federal Government will next week begin the dredging of the Ajaokuta-Onitsha waterways. 



The project being execueted by the National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA) will be launched by the Minister of Transportation, Mr. Rotimi Amaechi, on April 28 in Kogi State.

Mr. Amaechi, disclosed this on Tuesday in Abuja to newsmen. He commended the management of the National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA) for the brilliant initiative.

He said the NIWA has asked its dredgers to carry out maintenance dredging on Ajaokuta-Onitsha waterways to ensure smooth navigation of barges and vessels.

“This is a good idea, the NIWA tried to get back our old dredgers to do the dredging by ourselves, not by contract because we do not have money to award contract.

Those companies that can use barges can move their freight; it is 162 meters.

They can use it to arrive the Ajaokuta ramp for berthing within three months; we just want the waterways to be navigable” he explained.

The minister said dredging of the Ajaokuta-Onitsha waterways would go a long way in transporting freight to the eastern part of the country.

[Daily Trust]

Monday, April 17, 2017

Recovered $43m: We Have Handed The Matter Over To God - Wike

Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Ezenwo Wike, has again called on Federal Government to return the $43 million found in Ikoyi building, Lagos State to him.

Wike, who stood his ground that it was kept by Transport Minister, Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi, urged the people of the State to take the matter to God in prayers.

The governor had earlier threatened to drag the the central government to court.

Wike was speaking during the Easter Church Service at Saint Peter’s Anglican Church in Rumuepirikom, where he urged the church, and Christians in the state to pray that God touches the Federal Government to return the money.

Wike frowned at the inability of the All Progressives Congress led government to take action over the money.

The governor maintained that Buhari was selective in its fight against corruption, noting that such approach would hinder the country’s development.

Wike alleged that the APC used between 70 -80 per cent of Rivers money for the 2015 campaigns.

He said, “We need the prayer of the Church, because there is nothing that prayer cannot do.

“Pray that God should touch the government of Nigeria, so that they will return the money to us. What we are interested is for the money to come back to us.”

Wike stated that contrary to Ameachi’s statement, he has not declared war on the Federal Government, but the Rivers State government was simply requesting the return of funds belonging to the state.

He said, “I cannot declare war on the Federal Government. Anybody bringing Buhari’s name, should leave Buhari and face his own problems.

“The issue is who kept the money at the Ikoyi residence. The money was kept there by the Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi.”


By John Owen Nwachukwu

Friday, April 14, 2017

Amechi Stole $50m Found In Lagos Apartment from Rivers State, FG Should Return It In 7 Days - Wike

 
Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike, has insisted that the $50million found in a Lagos apartment by operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), was stolen by his predecessor, Rotimi Amaechi.


He has asked for it to be returned within seven days.
Addressing journalists at the Government House in Port Harcourt on Friday night, Wike said: “The money in question belongs to the former Rivers State Governor, Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi. We want to confirm that the houses in Ikoyi also belong to Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi.

“If you recollect in 2015, we said that gas turbines built by Former Governor Peter Odili were sold to Sahara Energy, business partners of Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi at $319million.

“That money was used to sponsor the All Progressives Congress for the 2015 general elections. From the date of sale of the gas turbines to May 29, 2015, the money depleted from $319million to $204,000. What was stashed at the Ikoyi residence was part of that fund”.

He continued: “We have facts to prove that the said money belongs to the Rivers State Government. The Federal Government must return our money”.

The Governor also said all the stories being peddled about the money belonging to the National Intelligence Agency (NIA) were false.

“As I speak to you, the Federal Government is so embarrassed that this has happened. All the stories that the money belongs to the NIA are fake,” Wike said.

He then called on the FG to return the money within seven days or face legal action, as the Rivers State Government needs the funds to complete several projects.

“We are giving them seven days to return our money. Otherwise, we would take legal action to recover our money. $43million will help us complete several projects. We need that money for projects,” he concluded.

A former Minister of Aviation, Chief Femi Fani-Kayode, had also claimed that the money belongs to Amaechi.
Fani-Kayode, who wrote this on his Twitter page, also dismissed reports that the money belonged to the NIA.

He insisted that the Minister of Transport owns the flat where the money was found.

“The $43 million is Rotimi Amaechi’s.He owns the flat it was found in too.NIA story is fake news! NIA does not keep cash in Minister’s flats!” Fani-Kayode tweeted.

Governor Ayodele Fayose’s aide, Olayinka Lere, also claims that the money belongs to the former Rivers State Governor.

“Just hearing with one ear that Amaechi may have link to the House,” Olayinka wrote on Twitter.
“Cover up game has started! Rotimi Amaechi owns the house.”



By Ifreke Inyang