World News

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Why I Invited Osinbajo To London - Buhari



President Muhammadu Buhari yesterday said he invited Vice President Yemi Osinbajo to London on July 11 because he was impressed with the way he used his intellect to run Nigeria as acting president.


Speaking at the Council Chambers of the Aso Rock Presidential Villa in Abuja at a meeting with the Nigerian Governors Forum, Buhari described Osinbajo’s efforts as commendable, saying he personally thanked him in the UK.

It was the president’s first meeting with state governors since he returned from his medical vacation in the United Kingdom last Saturday.

Osinbajo acted as president from May 7 to August 19 during the president’s absence.
“The efforts by the vice president are commendable.  He used his intellect to run all over the place. I was seeing him 24 hours on NTA. I congratulate him. I allowed him to come and see me to thank him personally for what he has done,” Buhari said.

He thanked the governors for their leadership approaches in their respective states. 

“I had so much time to watch NTA. I heard so much information about the states. I am very pleased with the states, you are all doing your best and you are lucky your best is proving to be good enough on agriculture and solid minerals. You are succeeding in agriculture because I think people cannot afford foreign food,” he said.

The president said he was very happy with the national prayers for his recovery, adding that the love shown him by Nigerians had greatly boosted his morale.

He said a group of protesters visited the Abuja House in London, sang the Nigerian anthem and asked him to return home. 

The president said the devaluation of the naira was not the making of his administration.
“It may not favour us, but it is something we cannot change. Some people were asking me if we should be stricter on the borders, but I want to thank God that last year and this year are better than what it used to be,” he added.

The chairman of the NGF and Zamfara State Governor, Abdulaziz Yari, said many states could not pay salaries before Buhari became president, acknowledging that the bailout funds and Paris Club loan refunds helped cushion the effect of recession in the states.

Also speaking, Ebonyi State Governor Dave Umahi assured Buhari of the forum’s commitment to national unity and pledged its support for the president.


By Isiaka Wakili