The Nigerian Governors Forum (NGF) has insisted that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has not frozen its accounts.
The Director of Media of the NGF, Abdulrazak Barkindo,
denied the reports on Saturday.
Barkindo said that an earlier decision of the court to stop
usage of the NGF’s account had been lifted.
“I saw the report in the newspapers. How can EFCC freeze an
account? Only a court can freeze an account. Anyway, the figure people are
bandying now is not correct.
“There was a consultant who sued us to court, he sought N53
billion from us, and we had issued a press statement a long time ago that the
consultant still continues to come and claim money for work perhaps that they
did in ten years or so.
“So this one that we have no relationship with came and sued
and asked the court to stop us from using the account which the court did and
we had already settled. The court de-froze the account and we have settled out
of court with him.
“So I don’t know why people are saying EFCC has frozen our
account. There is no truth in that. Our accounts, they were not like frozen, we
were told not to use the account until we finish discussing with the guy. He
got an expert motion. That motion has been taken off already,” he said.
By Ifreke Inyang
