Amnesty International has warned Nigerian security forces to
exercise restraint when policing demonstrations marking the 50th Anniversary of
the end of the Biafra War on May 30, and avoid a repetition of the bloodbath in
2016 when more than 60 people were gunned down.
Osai Ojigho, Director of Amnesty International Nigeria, in a
statement said: “Last year’s heavy-handed response against pro-Biafra activists
further stirred up tensions in the south east of Nigeria”.
“The reckless approach to crowd control favoured by the
security forces when policing peaceful pro-Biafra protests has left more than
150 dead since August 2015, not to mention cases of enforced disappearance and
unlawful detention.
“We urge the Nigerian security agencies to conduct
themselves in a manner that will ensure public order without resorting to
force.”
Amnesty International said its research concluded that at
least 60 extra-judicial executions were committed in the space of two days,
with a further 70 people injured. The real number is likely to be higher.
“Despite overwhelming evidence that members of the Nigerian
security forces fired live ammunition with little or no warning to disperse
pro-Biafra gatherings, resulting in the death of at least 150 people, no person
suspected of criminal responsibility has been brought to justice,” said Mr.
Ojigho.
“Amnesty International has repeatedly called on the
government of Nigeria to initiate independent investigations into allegations
of crimes under international law. President Buhari has repeatedly promised
that these would be looked into. However, no progress has been made,” said
Ojigho.
AI further lamented that security forces have already
started clamping down on pro-Biafra groups ahead of the formal anniversary.
“On May 22, more than 100 members of the Movement for the
Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB) and Biafra Independent Movement (BIM) were
arrested in Enugu, Ebonyi, and Cross River states during similar celebrations.
“We are calling for the immediate and unconditional release
of all those who have been detained solely for peacefully expressing their
political views or other exercise of their right to freedom of expression or
peaceful assembly,” Ojigho added.
In a report released in November 2016, Amnesty International
revealed that at least, 150 peaceful pro-Biafra protesters were killed by the
security forces between August 2015 and August 2016.
By Wale Odunsi
